Friday, October 18, 2013

HPI mini on a V1

If you know me you know that I spend way too much money on moped parts and getting custom machining work done.  This is my most recent machining project that Naz (Mosquito Fleet) did for me a few months ago.  It's a HPI mini rotor ignition adapted to a v1! It does not simply just bolt on.  A new stator had to be fabricated.  A custom press fit taper adapter for the rotor had to be made.  I knew I wanted to keep the fan so Naz made a sweet fan adapter (mind you this was the second one he did, with Mike Thomas's being the first) so I could use my stock fan!  It's absolutely amazing.  V1's are known for their torque and with that AND the light weight rotor, makes for some very fun times!


Mocked up without the fan!
Motor mounted and ignition mocked up!





Since I live in central Missouri I get super bored a lot and rev my bike out on the stand for no reason.  Check out this video with the HPI on a Polini kit.

stupid HPI revving on stand


A few months ago I spent about 4 weeks in Lawrence, KS helping my bosses open up a new location.  I offered to go out there and train and hire employees and make sure everything was running well.  While I was out in Lawrence I stayed with my buddy Daryl who operates Lawrence Scooter Repair.  He actually came out to Missouri and picked me up... on the way back to Lawrence he was mentioning that a lady came in with a Lazer moped trying to sell it to him... I asked for a picture and he showed me a beautiful Lazer (v1!) and so I convinced him to buy it and sell it to me at cost.  I've wanted a General/Lazer for soooo long and now I have one!  It's still an italian bike so it's fucking small but it's a god damn Lazer.  Anyway, the gas cap was locked and we didn't have a key so we proceeded to drill the lock out (and then the next day I realized that you can buy the keys from 1977mopeds, oops!) and find the nastiest crustiest gas tank ever.  Let's just say it took 2 weeks to get it clean including time spent lining the tank and having the liner fail, pretty rad.  We rode it around for a while with my motron tank strapped to it like ballers, I seized the stock cylinder a few times and then finally swapped my kitted bottom end on to it.  It's got a title and I love it.  It'll probably be for sale soon though because i'm a god damn freak and can't keep a moped for longer than 2 months.

BALLER!!!!

Right now it has an 80mera, cali pipe, HPI mini, hammer clutch (i'll make a separate post about that later), rebuilt stock roller bearing crank, vm20, needle bearing clutch bell and a mopedfactory head.  it does 51mph at a million rpms with 12x44 gearing.  womp womp.  it's probably going to get one of those fancy puch gila v1 adapter kits that motomatic made... 




No comments:

Post a Comment